Monday, September 26, 2005

Evolution and Hippies

We all know that arguing evolution and intelligent design (creationism) is pointless, because people who believe in intelligent design are, well, let's just say they are "confused." But I thought this article in today's Post does a very nice job of showing just why they are wrong. It is a bit long, but a good read. It is also a nice refresher on high school biology, so you can be armed with science in the event that you need to argue evolution with a nut job. Even though, as I said before, that is probably pointless. Let's face it, if these people don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, there is no hope for them.

This weekend the little lady took me to the Small Print Expo in Bethesda. I didn't know what to expect, but it was actually pretty cool. There were a lot of comic book kids, which scared me, but also some very neat art. The guys from Diesel Sweeties were there too, which was awesome. I love that (web)comic.

That night we went downtown to the protest/concert on the Mall. Now, I have always been very anti-Iraq-war, but mostly I just wanted to see Ted Leo rocking out. Unfortunately we were a bit too late to catch his set. By the time we got there, in fact, the "protest" had taken on the look and feel of the HFStival. And therein was the problem, for me at least - the place was swarming with hippies. I hate hippies. Onstage there were fat white "belly dancers" doing some stupid hippy peace dance, and I was frankly embarrassed. Why do democrat/libereal/protest events frequently devolve into such circuses? To be fair, any free concert is going to attract hippies, but it really burns me that with such a serious subject matter, kids are walking around wasted and stoned and having drum circles and shit. That is why Republicans are so good at convincing people of their point of view... when they get together for anything they dress nice and act respectable. Now, I'm a blue-blooded liberal through and through, don't get me wrong. And I will drink you under the table. But there is a time and a place for everything.

I will say that Cindy Sheehan's Camp Casey was impressive. 1,900 crosses are quite an impressive number when you actually see them all lined up. Too bad Bush wasn't home to take a look for himself.

Did anyone else go to the protest? Agree or disagree with my hippie rant?

Also of note, Nirvana has a new CD coming out... it is a "best of the box set." Should be cool.

UPDATE: I swear I don't want this to be a political blog, so I won't comment on this any more than by saying that you seriously can't make this stuff up..

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Political blogs suck. Don't turn into one of those. By the way, that Post article was on point, but the link didn't work from your site. WTF?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home